Australia is home to some of the most incredible natural landscapes, attractions, national parks, mountain ranges, flora and fauna. The best way to explore this scenery and tick it all off your bucket list is with one of the RedBalloon hiking holidays. These packages have been designed to let you tackle hiking tracks whilst also taking care of all your accommodation and activities for you. You’ll find a variety of walking holidays in New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, Tasmania and even the Northern Territory. Escape the daily grind of city life and discover your own backyard with a hiking experience.
Our range of walking holidays are also the perfect gift idea for someone who loves to explore the great outdoors and is in need of a well-deserved break away from the hustle and bustle of the city. They will be truly blown away by how thoughtful and unique this getaway is! These packages will take care of everything for them so they simply have to put on their hiking shoes and get ready for a few days of discovering nature and the Australian landscapes.
What is a walking holiday?
Walking holidays, also known as hiking or trekking holidays, are getaways focused around walks particularly in bushlands, national parks, regional or coastal areas and plenty of other countryside locations.
What are the best walking holidays?
If you’re looking for adventurous and fun walking holidays, RedBalloon offers a great range of packages that will combine great hikes, beautiful sightseeing and accommodation. If you don’t know which hiking holidays to pick, we have curated a list of some of the most popular experiences.
- Overnight Blue Mountains hiking tour with camping and meals: Escape the hustle and bustle of Sydney and immerse yourself in nature with an overnight hiking holiday in the Blue Mountains. This two day all-inclusive expedition will have you conquering the mighty Mount Solitary, discovering local wildlife and learning about the Aboriginal and European history of the area. Covering 26km along a moderately graded track, you’ll discover ancient sandstone cliffs, diverse vegetation and abundant birdlife as you dip into the rainforest, scramble over landslides and climb up rocky mountains.
- 4 day Freycinet Peninsula walk with accomodation and meals: Discover the spectacular beauty of the Freycinet Peninsula on Tasmania’s East Coast by foot. Enjoy four days of blissful immersion in nature paired with three nights of stylish accommodation at a secluded lodge. This is one of the best trekking holidays that includes comfortable accommodation, knowledgeable guides, the National Park pass, all meals, local wine and two scenic boat trips.
- Great South Coast walk with Sydney transfers: This 3 day supported walking holiday along the magnificent South Coast of NSW enjoys return transfers from Sydney. Murramarang National Park boasts crystal clear waters, long stretches of beach, rainforest, clifftops and an abundance of wildlife. During this getaway, you’ll not only enjoy plenty of hiking on beaches, rainforests, cliff tops and rock platforms, but it also includes kayaking, meals, accommodation, equipment and transfers.
- 5 Day North West Queensland hike with glamping and meals: Discover the landscapes that evoke the lifestyle of Queensland’s remote and rugged North West. This five day guided hike will have you travelling through some of Australia’s largest cattle stations, exploring gorges and retiring to glamping accommodation each night. Each day you will hike a new trail and return to The Stock Camp, nestled beside a beautiful waterhole, where you will be spoilt with sundown drinks and canapés.
- Bymien to Freshwater 2 day hike with meals and camping: Discover magnificent rainforest, beautiful beaches and an abundance of wildlife on this overnight hike. Departing from the Sunshine Coast, you will drive to Rainbow Beach and hike through the lush forest of the Great Sandy National Park to Freshwater Campground where you’ll set up camp for the night.
If you have always loved to explore and hike and you’re up for a challenge, then trekking holidays are for you. These can include some moderate or hard walking routes but the reward will pay off as you enjoy the Australian outback and wilderness along the way.
What is the difference between hiking and trekking?
Often hiking and trekking are used for the same reason, however they can be slightly different. Normally hiking refers to walking long distances and is engaged in a leisure-like activity. Trekking on the other hand is often for longer, more demanding journeys by foot. Trekking is considered more rigorous and intense and a challenging outdoor experience.
Can I wear running shoes for hiking?
Although you can wear running shoes whilst hiking, if you are going to do long distance or multiple days it may be more comfortable to wear hiking boots. These shoes are designed for the outdoor conditions and can provide more support and work better on hiking trails and tougher environments.
Discover these hiking holidays and more plenty of other accommodation packages from the RedBalloon range of getaways. From glamping and coastal stays to romantic escapes and weekends away, you’ll find the perfect Australian holiday for you, your loved one or family.
If you loved our range of hiking holidays and are after more experiences, discover the RedBalloon range of day trips and tours. These are some of the best ways to explore nature, famous landmarks, attractions and everything this country has to offer. From scenic cruises, guided walks, cycling tours and more, you are spoilt for choice on RedBalloon.