Yarra Valley things to do
Whether you’re a local or visiting, there is so much to discover and experience in the Yarra Valley. Located east of Melbourne, the Yarra Valley is one of the most famous wine regions in Australia and is known for its cool climates, local produce, breathtaking scenery and romantic hideaways. On RedBalloon, you’ll find plenty of Yarra Valley things to do that will let you explore the area from every vantage point. We also offer plenty of accommodation packages if you’re looking to turn your trip into a well deserved getaway. Better yet, why not surprise a loved one to trip away and enjoy all the Yarra Valley attractions whilst there.
What to do in the Yarra Valley?
If you’re looking for things to do in Yarra Valley, RedBalloon is the perfect place to look. Discover a wide range of experiences perfect for exploring the region, its attractions and of course the wineries. There is so much to see and do in this part of Victoria so we’ve curated a list of some of the top Yarra Valley experiences:
- Hot air ballooning over Yarra Valley with breakfast for 2 people: Go hot air ballooning over the spectacular Yarra Valley! Float across the sky and over the top of the unique landscapes of Australia’s most famous wine region. Peaceful yet exhilarating, the flight lasts for approximately one hour. You’ll finish the journey with a delicious breakfast, making this one of the best Yarra Valley activities to tick off the list.
- Yarra Valley horse trail ride with wine tasting: If horse riding through a beautiful landscape is on your bucket list; this experience is for you! Go on a horse ride through the Yarra Valley’s bush and mountains and get back to nature. Keep your eyes peeled for wallabies, kangaroos, wombats, deer, and more, and stop for a local wine tasting.
- White water rafting on the Yarra River: Get ready to experience the raging torrents of the Yarra River from your two-person inflatable raft. Challenge yourself as you paddle down the white water rapids. But don’t forget to take in the beautiful bushland surroundings as you paddle through valleys, gorges and stunning scenery.
- Wine tasting and lunch in the Yarra Valley for 2 people: this award-winning winery tour visits premium vineyards and includes entertaining presentations and a superb winery restaurant lunch with wine. During your Yarra Valley wine tour you’ll also visit the home of Australia’s number one bubbly, Domaine Chandon!
- High tea with sparkling at Elmswood Estate for 2 people: Indulge in an elegant high tea featuring an array of sweet and savoury delights with uninterrupted views of the Yarra Valley as your backdrop. Enveloped by 25-acres of vineyards, rolling hills and mountain tops, hear nothing but birdsong as you savour scrumptious treats and sip sparkling wine.
- Flying lesson in a tiger moth biplane: A De Havilland Tiger Moth flying lesson gives you the chance to step back in time and experience the joy of flight as it was at the turn of the 20th century. With this experience you will actually take control of the aircraft whilst under the guidance of a highly experienced flying instructor.
- Lamborghini ride through the Yarra Valley: Here’s your opportunity to taste the high life and indulge yourself in the finer things! Hop in the passenger seat of a Lamborghini Gallardo for a 15 minute ride around the beautiful Yarra Valley, departing from Rochford Wines.
Yarra Valley attractions
By far one of the biggest Yarra Valley attractions are the world-renowned wineries. If you’re visiting this part of Victoria, you can’t leave without treating your taste buds to a wine tasting or tour. It is especially known for its Chardonnay, sparkling wine and Pinot Noir. You’ll find plenty of award-winning cellar doors and wineries on RedBalloon that are perfect for tasting local produce as well as exploring the region and its natural surroundings.
How many days do you need in the Yarra Valley?
The Yarra Valley is one of those destinations that can be done in a day trip from Melbourne or during a 2-3 day mini getaway. There are so many things to do in Yarra Valley that you’ll definitely keep yourself entertained if you decide to make a little holiday out of it. You could easily spend a whole day exploring wineries, so if you have a few extra days free you why not spend them experiencing plenty of other Yarra Valley activities. This could include enjoying horse riding, skydiving, cooking classes, driving experiences, animal encounters and so much more.
How far is the Yarra Valley from Melbourne?
The Yarra Valley is only a short drive from Melbourne, roughly 30 minutes (around 25km) by car. You can also get there by public transport including buses or trains, or in a taxi. Alternatively, on RedBalloon you’ll find a range of day trip packages that include return transfers from Melbourne. This is the best way to enjoy Yarra Valley activities without having to worry about getting there as it is all taken care of for you!
Discover these Yarra Valley activities plus plenty more experiences from the RedBalloon range of things to do in Victoria. You’ll be spoilt for choice with experiences in Melbourne, Mornington Peninsula, Great Ocean Road and plenty more destinations around the state.
The Yarra Valley is located only 30 minutes from Melbourne CBD, so why not tick off some experiences in the state’s capital city whilst you’re in the area. From fine dining restaurants and helicopter flights, to romantic getaways and driving experiences, there are plenty of things to do in Melbourne on RedBalloon.