Located 2.5 hours drive north of Sydney, Port Stephens is the perfect destination for a mini getaway or locals looking to explore their own backyard. There are endless things to do in Port Stephens as it is known for its vast sand dunes, marine life, outdoor activities and stunning beaches. There is so much to see and do in this part of the NSW North Coast and RedBalloon lets you experience it all! From Port Stephens whale watching cruises and water sports to quad biking and golf rounds, you’ll find the best activity for you
Looking for a gift idea that will enrich their special day? Why not gift them one of our Port Stephens activities that will let them explore the incredible nature and attractions of this NSW region. Whether they are celebrating a birthday, anniversary, Christmas or any other special occasion, a Port Stephens experience will surprise and delight them! Better yet, why not gift them an experience for 2 and tag along. They will love enjoying the present with you, creating shared memories you’ll both never forget!
Is Port Stephens worth a visit?
If you’re wondering whether or not to visit Port Stephens on your next holiday, the answer is absolutely! There is so many things to do in Port Stephens perfect for couples, families and friends. It’s the perfect destination to enjoy a few days away or even for a day trip from Sydney. It’s a gorgeous part of NSW that is made up of a number of towns including Nelson Bay, Shoal Bay, Salamander Bay, Fingal Bay, Anna Bay and Soldiers Point. Shoal Bay is the picture perfect coastal village and the ultimate relaxing holiday destination. If you’re looking to spend a couple of days exploring this area, why not book one of the RedBalloon getaway packages in Port Stephens. It’s the perfect way to stay and explore this beautiful part of Australia.
How do I get to Port Stephens?
The best way to travel to Port Stephens is by car. It is only a 2.5 -3 hour drive from Sydney if you travel via the M1. It is also located a 30 minute drive from Newcastle Airport for those who are looking to fly in to the area. At the airport you can hire a car or arrange transfers to Port Stephens.
Things to do in Port Stephens from RedBalloon
There are plenty of amazing and fun things to do in Port Stephens. Whether you’re after an action-packed adventure or something a little more laid-back, you’ll find the perfect experience for you on RedBalloon. Some of the top-selling Port Stephens activities include:
- Port Stephens whale watching cruise: head offshore to witness the magnificent Humpbacks as they swim and play amongst the islands of the Port Stephens Great Lakes Marine Park. Keep your eyes peeled for dolphins, flocks of oceanic sea birds and the colony of Southern Fur Seals that often laze on the rocks at Cabbage Tree Island!
- Quad bike adventure tour: experience the rush as you explore some of the largest sand dunes in the Southern Hemisphere on a quad bike. For one hour, you will navigate your way through this sandy playground, testing your skills as you travel up and down the dunes. Enjoy stunning views of the sweeping coastline from the peaks.
- Port Stephens kayak hire: discover paradise on this two-hour single kayak adventure. Strike out on your own or with friends and explore this dazzling untouched landscape marked by majestic headlands, white sandy beaches and rocky outcrops teeming with dolphins, birds and any number of fish and marine life.
- 3 night midweek stay in a 2 bedroom apartment for 4 people: escape to the idyllic coastal paradise of Nelson Bay for a relaxing three night stay in a two bedroom apartment. Situated just moments away from gorgeous beaches and walks, the Mantra provides the perfect base for you to explore nature’s splendour at this popular holiday destination.
- Marine discovery cruise with snorkelling: cruise through the bay and see resident bottlenose dolphins before heading to an offshore island. In the sheltered lea of Cabbage Tree or Fingal Island, you will find an amazing and diverse range of marine life. On you return, hoist the sails, relax and enjoy the stunning scenic coastline.
Port Stephens activities
There are plenty of Port Stephens activities waiting for you on RedBalloon. These experiences are perfect for enjoying on a family holiday, with your friends or your partner. As this region is best known for its outdoor adventures and water sports, it only seems fitting that our experiences are all about getting out and about in Port Stephens.
Activities for kids in Port Stephens
There are a variety of kids activities in Port Stephens perfect to keep the little ones busy or to enjoy as a family. If you don’t know which experience to pick, discover our list below of some of our customers’ favourite activities.
- Unlimited sandboarding at Port Stephens: uncover all the thrills and spills of sandboarding as you slide down the spectacular Stockton sand dunes in Port Stephens. Reaching up to 50 metres high, you’ll have endless fun on this sandy playground. You’ve got the board for the entire day, so have as much fun as you can handle!
- Irukandji shark and ray encounters entry with shark feeding: Become acquainted with some friendly creatures of the deep at Irukandji Shark and Ray Encounters! Enjoy a guided tour of the aquarium, learning more about their passion for conservation and about the animals themselves, with the chance to feed and pet them. They’re just bursting to say hello!
- Broughton Island snorkel cruise: cruise towards beautiful Broughton Island onboard a 40ft power cat. Keep a lookout for the playful dolphins in the area before anchoring at a sheltered cove for a swim or snorkel. The marine life is second to none!
With our range of experiences and things to do, you can tick off the best Port Stephens attractions from your must-see list. Don’t know which experience to pick? Don’t worry, you can always choose a gift voucher and decide later. A gift voucher can be used to purchase any experience or product in Port Stephens including any accommodation available on RedBalloon. Find out more about our gift vouchers.
If you loved our range of Port Stephens activities, discover these and more with our entire range of things to do on the North Coast of NSW. Discover fun and exhilarating experiences in Port Macquarie, Coffs Harbour, Byron Bay, Tweed Heads and plenty more locations.
Now that you’ve got your Ports Stephens experiences booked in, why not explore the rest of the state? There is so much to see and do in NSW that are definitely worth ticking off your list at the same time. Discover an amazing range of experiences in Sydney, the Blue Mountains, Hunter Valley, South Coast and more destinations.