Northern NSW attractions
The NSW North Coast is known for its beautiful coastlines, pristine beaches, fertile valleys, rainforests, wildlife parks, scenic drives plus so much more. At RedBalloon, you’ll find some of the best experiences for enjoying these Northern NSW attractions. From water activities and cruises to hot air balloon rides and dining experiences, discover the best things to do mid North Coast and beyond.
Whether you’re a local, visiting from interstate or an international tourist, there are so many amazing North Coast activities and towns to tick off your list. From the world-famous Byron Bay down to Coffs Harbour and Port Stephens, this part of the country has so much to offer. Better yet why not surprise that special someone with a trip away to Northern NSW and experience the coast together. Whether you enjoy swimming with the dolphins in Port Stephens or a tandem Skydive over Byron Bay, you’ll be spoilt for choice when finding things to do on the North Coast on RedBalloon.
Where should I go on the North Coast of NSW?
If you’re wondering what towns and regions you should discover on the North Coast, we’ve curated a list of the best places to go. RedBalloon also offers a wide range of experiences to enjoy in these areas so you can explore all the sites and attractions from land, sea or sky. The best way to enjoy the North Coast is to drive through all the towns and areas starting from Sydney, venturing up to the Queensland border.
- Port Stephens: situated on the coast near the Hunter Region of NSW, this area is roughly a 2 hour and 45 minute drive from Sydney. Whether you’re just passing through our holidaying here, there is so much to enjoy in this beautiful part of the mid North Coast.
- Port Macquarie: located further up the coast, roughly 2 hours and 40 minutes from Port Stephens, this town is a great place to stop and discover the beaches, wildlife and penal colony past. RedBalloon offers some beautiful accomodation packages in Port Macquarie if you’re looking to make a short stay out of it.
- Coffs Harbour: keep venturing up another 1 hour and 40 minutes from Port Macquarie and you’ll reach Coffs Harbour, the perfect location to stop for a rest and stay. You can even check out the famous Big Banana monument and amusement park. Whilst in the area you can enjoy some of the best North Coast activities such as stand up paddle boarding, cheesemaking workshop with lunch, treetop adventures course and more.
- Byron Bay: once you’ve explored Coffs Harbour, drive 3 hours to Byron Bay and explore why this coastal town is a popular holiday destination. Check out the beaches, surf, scuba diving sites, the lighthouse, Hinterlands and more.
Tweed Heads: your last stop should be at Tweed Heads, a 50 minute drive from Byron Bay and on the border of NSW and Queensland. This is a vibrant holiday destination with plenty to do for everyone from river to plate cruises, rainforest retreats, food tasting tours and more.
What is the North Coast known for?
The North Coast of NSW is renowned as a popular tourist destination for both locals and visitors. It is known for its subtropical climate, uncrowded beaches, coastal scenery, native animals, surf locations and fresh produce. It is the perfect destination to swim with dolphins, indulge on incredible food and wine, explore hinterlands and rainforests and stay at beachside towns. There are so many things to do North Coast wide and you can find the best experiences on RedBalloon for exploring these attractions.
Things to do mid North Coast
If you’re wondering what things to do mid North Coast of NSW, then RedBalloon has you covered. Our range of experiences and activities will leave you spoilt for choice with plenty of ideas perfect for discovering the Northern NSW attractions and towns. We have curated a list of some of the best things to do mid North Coast to help make planning your itinerary easier.
- Swim with wild dolphins in Port Stephens: Join an expert team and be guided through an amazing in-water swim interaction with Short Beaked Common Dolphins in the pristine waters of Port Stephens. You will be immersed in the breathtaking world of bow-surfing wild dolphins and gently pulled through the water amid their pod.
- Port Macquarie scenic helicopter flight for 2 people: Take to the skies for bird’s eye views over Port Macquarie. Fly over the town and track along the stunning golden sand beaches, enjoying views of the coastline and the iconic Tacking Point Lighthouse, all the way to the Great Dividing Range.
- Half day beach horse ride with cheese platter and wine: Explore the long stretch of golden sands of Nine Mile Beach by horseback on this mesmerising tour. Stroll through winding forest tracks before trotting along the lapping gentle waves of the northern side of the beach. Return back to base and enjoy a gorgeous cheese platter with a glass of wine.
- 3 night wellbeing retreat with meals and massages for 6 people in mid North Coast: Get ready to reboot, rejuvenate and re-energise at the Challenge Chaser Retreat. Set within 30 acres at the foot of the Ghin-Doo-Ee National Park, you’ll have the perfect backdrop to help you and your group recharge, body and mind. Includes training sessions, meals and one massage per person.
- High ropes climbing course with flying foxes in Newcastle: Slide down flying foxes, move from tree to tree on suspension bridges and jump from 20m up in the forest. The multi-award winning, eco-friendly park provides a great day out for the whole family, and an exhilarating adrenaline rush!
- Overnight luxury escape with breakfast and dinner for 2 people in Port Macquarie: Escape to the banks of the Hastings River in picturesque Port Macquarie, for this romantic experience for two. Take advantage of the serene location as you unwind and indulge in a delicious seafood dinner and three course gourmet breakfast. This is the ultimate relaxing getaway and the best way to explore all the things to do mid North Coast!
- Stand up paddle board aboriginal cultural tour in Coffs Harbour: This 2.5 hour stand up paddle board tour takes you to one of three beautiful creek locations in the Solitary Islands Marine Park. Embark on a cultural journey as you paddle to significant spots, learning about the local Gumbaynggirr people. You’ll also have the chance to taste seasonal bush tucker.
If you’re looking for more amazing experiences that explore the Northern NSW attractions, discover our range of things to do in Byron Bay. From hot air ballooning and skydiving to surf lessons and snorkelling, there are plenty of RedBalloon experiences that are perfect for exploring this beautiful coastal town.
Once you have enjoyed all the things to do on the North Coast, why not venture down to Sydney and discover what makes the state’s capital world-renowned. From the Sydney Harbour bridge climb and waterfront restaurants, to scenic cruises and outdoor adventures, you’ll find the best things to do in Sydney on RedBalloon.
Discover these North Coast experiences and plenty more activities with the RedBalloon range of things to do in NSW. There are so many amazing places to tick off in this state including Sydney, the Hunter Valley, the Blue Mountains, South Coast and so much more. RedBalloon offers the best experiences for exploring the regions and their attractions.