Things to do in Hunter Valley
Known as one of the major wine regions in the country, the Hunter Valley is home to many vineyards from world-renowned companies through to boutique family-owned places. There are plenty of things to do in Hunter Valley that will let you explore the beautiful landscapes, wineries, local businesses and so much more. On RedBalloon, you’ll find the best experiences to see this popular tourist location in New South Wales. Whether you’re after weekend getaways, day trips from Sydney, wine tastings, dining experiences or more, there are plenty of Hunter Valley activities to choose from.
With the RedBalloon range of Hunter Valley attractions and activities available in the region, these are the perfect experiences to gift to someone special. Whether it is for a birthday, anniversary, Christmas or any other occasion, our Hunter Valley experiences are some of the most breathtaking gift ideas on offer. From skydiving to quad biking, and vineyard dinners to winery tours, make their day even more special with one of these Hunter Valley experiences.
Hunter Valley attractions
Tick off discovering some of the best attractions in the Hunter region. Discover award-winning wineries, breathtaking landscapes, and beautiful surrounding areas like Newcastle, Port Stephens and more. We definitely recommend enjoying these attractions with a RedBalloon experience whether it’s from the sky, land or water.
What can you do in the Hunter Valley?
On RedBalloon, you’ll find plenty of things to do in the Hunter Valley and Newcastle areas. Whether you’re after an exhilarating experience, an indulging winery or something the whole family can enjoy, you’ll be spoilt for choice with our range. Some of the best Hunter Valley activities include:
- Hot air ballooning over the Hunter Valley for 2 people: Experience the exhilaration of a sunrise hot air balloon flight over the Hunter Valley followed by an a la carte breakfast for two. Peaceful yet exhilarating, the flight lasts for approximately one hour. The perfect hot air ballooning experience set high above the region, making it the best way to spot the Hunter Valley attractions.
- Beer and BBQ cooking class: BBQ and beer, it’s a tried and true combo and this class aims to teach you the art of it! Led by a professional chef/bbq master, this cooking class will teach you tips and tricks to the best barbecued meat and how to match beer with each dish. And the best thing is, you get to eat everything you cook.
- Picnic among the vines with wine tasting masterclass for 2 people: Immerse yourself among the vines of one of Hunter Valley’s oldest vineyards and enjoy a romantic picnic for two with spectacular views. This experience also includes a masterclass tasting of premium wines at the Audrey Wilkinson cellar door; a real feast for the senses!
- Midweek Hunter Valley getaway with case of wine for 2 nights: Escape the city for two nights to a secluded Hunter Valley vineyard where luxury accommodation awaits for 2 people. Take in the mountain range views and watch the kangaroos from your private deck, stroll the vineyards and drink award-winning wines, local olive oil and a selection of snacks.
- Winery tour with tasting and 3 course lunch for 2 people: Enjoy a guided tour around one of the Hunter Valley’s most respected vineyards, Margan Wines. Immerse yourself in the journey from grape to bottle before taking your seat to taste award-winning wines. Finish with an indulgent three course lunch showcasing seasonal produce in their hatted restaurant.
- Aerobatic flight reconnaissance mission: Your mission is to take off from the Hunter Valley and conduct a tactical reconnaissance mission of the Newcastle or the Nelson Bay area. The experience begins with a military-style flight briefing before taking off for a 30-35 minute adventure. Thrill seekers can even request some aerobatic moves!
What is there to do in the Hunter Valley for kids?
If you’re visiting the Hunter region with kids, you might be wondering what activities they can do whilst there. RedBalloon offers a great range of children friendly experiences in the Hunter Valley and Newcastle that’ll keep them entertained for hours on end. Some of the best things to do in the Hunter region for kids include:
- Quad bike adventure: if you’re looking for a fun family experience to do with your teenagers, then saddle up, open the throttle and ride off on your own quad bike. Kids aged 12 and older can enjoy this adventure experience as tour guides lead you all across the mountainous, thrilling dunes of Stockton Beach in the Hunter region. For 60 magnificent minutes, you and your kids will rule the sands!
- Cruise and snorkelling: The Hunter region is home to some beautiful coastal areas that are perfect to enjoy with the family. Get the kids together and hop aboard a cruise around Broughton Island before enjoying snorkelling in the pristine water.
- Whale watching: The Hunter region is also the perfect location to tick whale watching off your bucket list! You’ll find plenty of tours and cruises available for the whole family to enjoy which will get you up close and marvelling at these beautiful marine creatures.
How do I get to the Hunter Valley?
If you want to enjoy the Hunter Valley attractions available on RedBalloon, there are plenty of ways to get there. The Hunter Region is roughly a 3.5 hour drive from Sydney CBD so you can drive out there for a day or make it a midweek/weekend getaway. RedBalloon offers some amazing accommodation packages so you can stay there and enjoy plenty of Hunter Valley things to do. Alternatively, RedBalloon also offers day trip packages from Sydney which means you don’t have to worry about getting there. These packages take care of it for you, with transfers to and from Sydney CBD (or another central location depending on the experience) on top of the experience such as winery tours, lunches and more. Simply sit back, relax and enjoy the experience!
If you’re planning on visiting the Hunter Region there are plenty of amazing towns and locations worth visiting. This region, located north of Sydney, includes four cities – Lake Macquarie, Newcastle, Maitland and Cessnock. However, it is also made up of other locations including The Vineyards, Lower Hunter, Barrington Tops and Upper Hunter.
Located past the Central Coast and on the coastal part of the Hunter Region, Lake Macquarie has plenty of things to do perfect for those visiting or just passing through. From open ocean jet boat rides and double kayaking adventures to runabout boat hires and gyrocopter flights, there are plenty of amazing experiences to enjoy on Lake Macquarie.
Newcastle is a major harbour city situated on the mouth of the Hunter River and is the most predominant city in the Hunter Region. Only a 2.5 hour drive from Sydney, there are plenty of things to do in Newcastle. From scenic helicopter flights and quad biking adventures, to whale watching tours and delicious beer tastings, you won’t be short of experiences perfect for exploring Newcastle.
The Hunter Valley is home to numerous wineries which are mostly located south of the Hunter River. This location also includes the city of Cessnock located 52km west of Newcastle. It wouldn’t be a trip to the Hunter Valley without exploring some of Australia’s famous vineyards. Discover this beautiful region with a hot air balloon ride, winery tour, skydive or with a getaway package.
With our range of experiences and things to do, you can tick off the best Hunter Valley attractions from your must-see list. Don’t know which experience to pick? Don’t worry, you can always choose a gift voucher and decide later. A gift voucher can be used to purchase any experience or product within the Hunter Valley including any accommodation available on RedBalloon. Find out more about our gift vouchers.
Discover these Hunter Valley activities and more experiences with our range of things to do in NSW. These experiences are the best way to discover the state’s most popular regions as well as ticking off plenty of must-visit locations. Discover Sydney, the Blue Mountains, Bryon Bay and plenty more locations in NSW with RedBalloon.
If you’ve ticked off Hunter Valley things to do, why not keep journeying down to Sydney and enjoy everything this city has to offer. With the Sydney Harbour Bridge climb, jet boating, fine dining restaurants and plenty more, there is so much to experience in the state’s capital. Discover amazing things to do in Sydney with RedBalloon and add it on to the end of your Hunter Valley trip.