Whitsundays things to do
If you have never been to the Whitsundays before, we definitely recommend ticking this beautiful destination off your bucket list. Located off the coast of Queensland on the Great Barrier Reef, the Whitsundays is made up of 74 islands, many of which are uninhabited. It also includes world famous islands including Hamilton Island, Hayman Island, Long Island and Daydream Island where you can stay. As the heart of the Great Barrier Reef lies in this region, the Whitsundays is world famous for its pristine waters, beautiful beaches including Whitehaven Beach and Hill Inlet, and natural scenery including the perfectly shaped natural formation of Heart Reef.
When it comes to finding Whitsundays days trip and things to do on these islands, you’ll find the best range of experiences on RedBalloon. See this part of the country from the land, sea or sky! We have curated a list of some of the best things to do in Whitsundays to make it easier when choosing your activity.
- Whitsundays Island adventure with snorkelling: Visit the wild side of the Whitsundays! On this full day experience you’ll enjoy one of the best Whitehaven beach tours by boat, followed by snorkelling in pristine reefs and a guided National Park walk. The semi rigid inflatable vessels are super fast, making it an exhilarating ride!
- Whitsundays scenic flight, rafting and swimming full day experience: Soak up the glorious sunshine and unrivalled scenery of the Whitsundays during this full day tour. Begin the day with an awe-inspiring scenic flight over the reef and islands before traversing across the waters to hidden snorkel spots. Spend ample time swimming and relaxing at Whitehaven Beach.
- 2 night island eco retreat with meals and more for 2 people: Spend two glorious nights at Elysian, a boutique eco island retreat on Long Island. This is the perfect package that provides beautiful accommodation whilst also allowing you to enjoy all the Whitsunday activities on offer. Soak in the serenity from your oceanfront villa and enjoy an all-inclusive package featuring gourmet breakfasts, al fresco or picnic lunches, sunset cocktails and canapés, and three course wine matched dinners.
- Camira sailing adventure Whitehaven beach: this full-day experience includes lunch, all drinks, Hill Inlet walk and Whitehaven Beach on a modern catamaran. With everything planned for you, relax and enjoy the crystal-clear water and sun-soaked deck, making this a heavenly day out!
How long do you need in Whitsundays?
If you want to enjoy plenty of things do in the Whitsundays we recommend spending at least 2-4 days there as there are plenty of islands to explore. You can stay on a number of the islands which are the best spot for exploring the region and ticking off multiple experiences. Alternatively, you can also stay on Airlie Beach and take day trips to the Whitsundays Islands.
There are no shortage of Whitsundays things to do on RedBalloon. You’ll find the perfect experience for exploring the amazing islands and natural surroundings that make up this part of the region. See the world’s largest coral reef system from the sky with a seaplane or helicopter flight or dive into a snorkelling experience to see the underwater world come alive. You could also treat your loved one to a romantic getaway to one of the Whitsundays islands.
There are plenty of amazing Whitsundays attractions and experiences on offer at RedBalloon! Don’t know which one to pick? Don’t worry, you can always choose a gift voucher and decide later. A gift voucher can be used to purchase any experience or product in the Whitsundays and Airlie Beach including any accommodation available on RedBalloon. Find out more about our gift vouchers.
Do you have to wear stinger suits in the Whitsundays?
During the stinger season from November through to May, we highly recommend wearing a stinger suit when swimming in the ocean in the Whitsundays. During this time of the year, it is important to take caution as you will need to know where and when to swim safely and what to wear. However outside stinger season (June to October) you do not need to wear a stinger suit when swimming at the Whitsunday beaches and open ocean.
Which is the best Whitsunday Island to stay on?
The Whitsundays is home to some amazing islands that you can stay on. These include Hamilton Island, Hayman Island, Long Island and Daydream Island. You will also find some relaxing and fun accommodation packages for these islands on RedBalloon.
Things to do on Airlie Beach
Airlie Beach is the gateway to the incredible Whitsunday Islands and is the perfect mainland base for exploring this beautiful part of Queensland. With plenty of amazing things to do on Airlie Beach, there is no better way to explore this tropical resort town then with a RedBalloon experience. Whether you’re looking to soak up the sun and relax with your family or an outdoor adventure that’ll let you explore the Whitsundays, there is no shortage of ideas to choose from. Some of the best things to do on Airlie Beach include:
- 5 night stay at Airlie Beach, Whitsundays for 2 people: escape to the tropical paradise of Airlie Beach for a blissful getaway in a one bedroom apartment. Situated in the heart of town and boasting sweeping views of the Coral Sea, Club Wyndham Airlie Beach is the perfect base to explore and enjoy this natural wonderland. You’ll also get to enjoy cocktails and a chocolate plate on arrival!
- Tandem skydive over Airlie Beach: Leap from the sky on your Airlie Beach tandem skydiving adventure! Marvel at the spectacular Whitsundays attractions from a birds eye view as you free fall from up to 15,000 feet. Securely attached to your experienced tandem instructor, you will be guided through your entire skydive.
- Great Barrier Reef adventures with lunch: It’s one of the ultimate Whitsundays things to do: a day trip to The Great Barrier Reef for a fun day off an amazing pontoon! Cruise out to the reef and visit our wonderfully deluxe complex, all afloat on the gorgeous coral reef. This experience includes a buffet lunch and morning and afternoon tea, so you can relax.
Whilst enjoying things to do in Whitsundays, why not discover our range of Great Barrier Reef experiences and tick off one of the world’s natural wonders from your bucket list. The Whitsundays is located in the heart of this famous reef, making it easy to add onto your trip. Discover cruises, snorkelling tours, helicopter flights, accommodation packages and plenty more experiences in the Great Barrier Reef on RedBalloon.
Whilst visiting the Whitsundays, we definitely recommend also exploring the beautiful region of Tropical Far North Queensland. There is so much to discover in this part of the country with famous cities including Noosa, Cairns, Port Douglas, Palm Cove and Townsville. It is also home to some of the most famous tourist attractions in Australia including the Daintree Rainforest and the Great Barrier Reef.
Discover these Whitsundays activities and plenty more experiences from the RedBalloon range of things to do in Queensland. You’ll never be short of things to do in the sunshine state with activities in Brisbane, the Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Tropical Far North Queensland, the Great Barrier Reef and plenty more destinations.