Kids want nothing more than your time, and we’re guessing you’re keen to get them to yourself for a while, too. And there’s no better time to do this than over the long Christmas break. It’s a win-win: you get to create memories with your precious grandkids while your own kids, their parents, get some child-free time.
So, what can you do with them?
A city break is like taking kids on several holidays at once. The whole thing will be a hit, from the fanciness of a hotel to the museums, art galleries with kids’ activities and public transport – it’s all amazing in the eyes of a little one.
• Jumping on and off trams in Melbourne, stopping only to eat the best food of your grandkids’ lives
• Touring Sydney Harbour slowly by ferry or super-fast by jet boat
• Waking the pandas at the famous Adelaide Zoo
If you’re getting away with kids who have tons of energy to spare, there’s nothing better than getting outside. Your options are only limited by your imagination, and the grandkids will definitely fill that gap.
Some ideas include:
• Heading off on a road trip to go camping (don’t forget the marshmallows) in a beautiful national park
• Doing day walks together to get back to basics and burn off some of that energy
• Taking them into the sunset on a family-friendly sailing adventure
For sports-mad kids and grandparents, Christmas holidays don’t come any better than when they include a beach break. Hang out on the sand together playing some beach cricket, Frisbee throwing and sandcastle building. And when you head into the water, you could throw in a big adventure or two, like these:
• Swimming with dolphins and seals at Victoria’s Mornington Peninsula
• Testing everyone’s knack for wildlife spotting in beautiful Western Australia
• Fishing for your lunch on Hobart’s picturesque Derwent River
With the grandkids in tow, it’s important to keep things simple so you can all relax and have some serious holiday fun. Some of these ideas might float your boat:
• A country escape can tick all the boxes: space for the kids to run around, and plenty of serenity for the older members of the party
• Want to splurge? There’s no better way to get away from the world than in a hot-air balloon – and they won’t forget that amazing view